The Open Education Awards for Excellence provide annual recognition to outstanding contributions in the Open Education community. Award categories are reviewed each year to make sure they are current, relevant and reflect the emerging innovations in the Open Education movement. This year’s new categories include other areas of openness that clearly impact and support the Open Education movement through their own Open practices. Together we stand for a world of openness where knowledge is openly and freely accessible. The Open Education Consortium celebrates and acknowledges these alliances and collaborations through the new 2018 OE Awards categories.
The awards are presented each year at the Open Education Global Conference. One award is granted in each category.
Individual awards are special merit awards presented to individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to advance openness in education. These awards recognize career achievements in two categories, Leadership & Educator.
1) LEADERSHIP AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE
– An individual who has demonstrated significant leadership in the Open Education community
– An individual with a longstanding involvement with Open Education
– An individual whose contributions to Open Education have spanned regions or had global impact
– An individual who has made significant and clear contributions to the furtherance of the Open Education movement
2) EDUCATOR AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE
– An individual who have published and/or use a significant body of OER over a sustained period
– An individual who has demonstrated innovative open educational practices
– An individual whose open course materials have been recognized as having impact
– An individual whose course material contributions are important in influencing peers to share materials more openly
OPEN RESOURCES, TOOLS & PRACTICES AWARDS
Open Resources, Open Tools and Open Practices is a new expanded category in the Open Education Awards for Excellence this year; previously classified as “OER & Projects Awards”. This new category encourages nominations beyond Open Education including other areas of openness, fostering the close relationship and wide variety of innovative Open initiatives being developed around the world. These awards recognize contributions in twelve categories:
1) OPEN COURSE (OCW OR MOOC)
A course -OCW or MOOC- of exemplary quality in its presentation of educational content; in breadth, depth and creativity.
2) OPEN TEXTBOOK
An openly licensed textbook of exemplary quality in its presentation of educational content; in breadth, depth and creativity.
3) OER REPOSITORY (COLLECTION OR LIBRARY)
An exceptional collection of high quality OER. A place to find curated OER exhibited in an organized manner with integrated searchable features.
4) OPEN RESEARCH
A research study or initiative about open education and/or related areas. A study or initiative that helps advance our understanding and demonstrate effectiveness related to challenges in discoverability, presentation, usability, accessibility or availability of OER.
5) OPEN INNOVATION
Outstanding innovation that brings a new approach to Open Education. Ideas or solutions that substantially improve the discoverability, presentation, usability, accessibility or availability of OER.
6) FREE AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE (FOSS) FOR EDUCATION
Efficient software application proven to be an essential tool for professionals, trainers and teachers for building, and delivering OER.
7) OPEN DATA
Excellence in an open data initiative. A project demonstrating best practices in making data openly available, accessible and reusable for the public.
8) OPEN ACCESS
Excellence in online research outputs that are dynamic, openly accessible and free of all restrictions to use and reuse the content. This category also includes initiatives that actively advance Open Access agenda.
9) OPEN PEDAGOGY
An innovative open teaching practice that incorporates openness in several levels of the learning processes. Engaging not only in the production, use and reuse of content but also promoting effective teaching open practices.
10) OPEN POLICIES
Creation, adoption and implementation of an open policy, legislation or mandate. A policy with clear impact of public investment in the development of open knowledge through the efficient use and reuse of resources for the public good.
11) OPEN CULTURE
An exemplary initiative promoting free and open access to cultural heritage collections. A project showcasing humanity’s patrimony freely, openly and without any restrictions.
12) OPEN SCIENCE
Excellence in an open science initiative. A practice in which others can collaborate and contribute, where research data, lab notes and other research processes are freely and openly available.
*If you know of an interesting open project, initiative or idea that doesn’t fit our award criteria or if you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
GENERAL AWARD PROCESS
- Award nominations are open to any member of the Open community.
- Staff, officers and current board members of the Open Education Consortium are not eligible for individual awards.
NOMINATIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL AWARDS
- Anyone may propose a nomination for Individual award categories, but individuals may not self-nominate.
- Individual award nominations are made in writing via online application (found below).
- The OE Consortium Board of Directors votes on individual awards at its January meeting.
NOMINATIONS FOR OPEN RESOURCES / TOOLS / PRACTICES
- Nominations are accepted from the community in general.
- Institutions and organizations may self-nominate.
- Nominations are made in writing via online application (found below).
- Submissions can be by URL alone, but a description or videos/screen captures highlighting the nominated material’s features are encouraged.
- Videos should be posted to YouTube and tagged OEAwards2018 in the video’s title.
- The Awards for Excellence Committee, comprised of individuals from OEC members, will review and select finalists from each category.
Link to the online nomination form will be posted HERE on October 02, 2017.
Sep 04, 2017 – Award Categories posted
Oct 02, 2017 – Call for nominations opens
Jan 15, 2018 – Nominations period closes
Jan 23, 2018 – OEC Board selects individual winners
Feb 07, 2018 – Individual winners announced (press release)
Mar 02, 2018 – OE Awards for Excellence Committee finalizes winner selection
Mar 21, 2018 – Winners for Resources, Tools & Practices announced (press release)
April 24-26, 2018 – Awards ceremony during Open Education Global Conference